IPR – intellectual property rights
- Copyright, design and patents act 1998
- Digital Economy Act 2010/13
- Automatically bestowed on any creative work that is original, in material form, created by a British citizen or made in Britain.
- Does not cover work created within normal employment, any ideas/plans, facts, anything that has already been copyrighted.
- Use (c) sign, credit line and IPTC fields – use copyright feature on PhotoShop
- Duration of rights -> artistic – 70 years from death of creator
- a usage agreement that includes/defines use of media type, territory and duration
- Do you want them to credit our work? Do they get exclusivity?
- Transactional license
- Non-transactional license – not an acts contract e.g. when putting words on social media
- Creative comments – embedding in images the permissions/copyright of images
(CC) pd – public domain, renouncing all copyrights
Prove it’s your own-
- embedded data
- IPTC copyright info
Pricing – research prices of people doing similar work
- Who the invoice is to
- The product you have supplied (cost of hires, photographers fee, etc.) and total
- Terms and conditions (Copyright and licensing, payment time, etc)
- Purchase order reference number
- VAT number and invoice number
- Your signature